DPF, What And Exactly where Is It? How Does It Operate? Ought to I Purchase A DPF
This is a query we get a million occasions a day. Given that 2007 all Dodge Cummins six.7, Ford Powerstroke six.four, and Chevy Duramax six.six trucks come from the factory equipped with a particulate filter to meet tougher emissions requirements. A diesel particulate filter (DPF) is a device that traps the soot and unburnt fuel from diesel combustion. You may well have noticed if you have one particular the 07+ diesel pickups that it by no means puts out any black smoke at all. The DPF will capture 90% or far better of all damaging diesel emissions. When the DPF has grow to be “complete” of soot, it will need to have to have a regeneration cycle in order to burn all the soot out. You may well have noticed a light on your dash from time to time that alerts you that the DPF is in “regen” or “cleaning filter.”
Essentially what is taking place through this method is that the engine's personal computer has decided from the facts that it receives from the sensors installed in the exhaust that the DPF has filled up previous it really is acceptable limit. The personal computer then opens the EGR (exhaust recirulation valve) introducing hot exhaust into the intake to assistance get get exhaust gas temps greater and also injects a compact shot of fuel into the cylinders when the exhaust valves are open. The raised exhaust temps and the compact quantity of fuel then burn out the particulate (soot) that the DPF has collected because it really is final regen. When the personal computer gets readings from the sensors in the exhaust that the filter is flowing an acceptable limit once again, it ends the regen cycle. The frequency of this cleaning cycle is diverse from car to car based on use, mileage, and engine situation.
Myths about the DPF method:
1. The lines on the side of the exhaust are fuel lines that dump fuel straight into the filter and the other connections are glow or spark plugs that ignite the fuel to clean the filter.
Not at all. As I stated above, the fuel required for cleaning the dpf is entered into the engine cylinders by route of the common fuel injectors through the exhaust stroke of the engine. A compact shot of fuel is pushed out with the rest of the exhaust gas. The metal lines absolutely everyone sees on the side of the DPF filter are for a stress sensor that is normally attached to the side of the transmission or frame. They have the lengthy metal tubes on them to get the temperature of the exhaust they are measuring down ahead of it reaches the sensor. Once more, I never care what the tech at the dealership says about these lines, if he says they are fuel lines (which I hear all the time), he is an idiot and you really should take away your truck from there as speedily as feasible. The other wires you see going to the exhaust ahead of and just after the DPF filter are not spark or glow plugs. They are thermocouples that measure exhaust temperature. The personal computer utilizes exhaust temperature and stress ahead of, at, and just after the dpf to measure how plugged the dpf is and when it really is time to execute a regen.
2. I can just take away the DPF filter and place a piece of pipe in there.
Sorry, no. If you take away the DPF filter and make no adjustments to the engine's personal computer, it will enter either a limp mode or a continuous state of regen. Merely place, all the sensors and the dpf have to be in ideal operating order when operating the stock vehicle's programming or else your truck will go haywire and you will not be capable to drive it.
Typical troubles with the DPF method:
1. Poor Fuel economy – This is the quantity one particular complaint we get from shoppers who have trucks equipped with a DPF. Most shoppers who traded in their pre-07 diesel pickups have been fully unhappy with the lack of fuel mileage that applied to appreciate. The typical fuel economy we hear men and women report on the DPF equipped trucks is normally 12-14 mpg. Numerous of these people traded in trucks that did 18-22 mpg and are fully disgusted.
2. Excessive regens – Numerous of our shoppers who use their trucks for operate complain about pretty frequent regens that kill their fuel mileage and overall performance. Numerous shoppers who operate outdoors in the winter have been applied to leaving their old diesels run all day when they have been on the job internet site. The DPF equipped trucks never manage this pretty effectively. The cooler idling temperature of the exhaust gas will soot up the DPF on an accelerated price. It is not uncommon for these shoppers to be on their second or third filter alter mainly because the truck went into continuous limp mode. The normally dealership response is: ” You can not let these new trucks idle.” Which goes more than fairly effectively with guys who are stuck at a job internet site 5 miles back in the woods all day and the temperature by no means gets above ten degrees.
3. Higher replacement price – If any of you have had to spend for a DPF replacement out of warranty, you likely had a heart attack when you got the bill. A replacement DPF (which is not accessible aftermarket however) runs roughly $2000-$2600 for the just the filter alone. And hears the scary component. DPF life is estimated amongst 120,000 and 150,000 miles. If you program on maintaining your new diesel pickup for a couple of hundred thousand miles far better commence a DPF fund.
4. Restricts overall performance modifications – With the new diesel pickups, the prospective for horsepower improvements is tremendous. We have taken all 3 brands of pickups to close to or more than 500 rear wheel horsepower and 1000 ft/lbs of torque with just intake, exhaust, and programming modifications. By no means has so significantly overall performance been so effortless and economical when nonetheless sustaining street manners. The only challenge is something previous a compact tow kind tune will aggravate the particulate filter. Turning up the engine will generate extra soot which will plug the dpf sooner causing extra regens. Numerous shoppers who run a 100 horsepower plan report pretty poor fuel mileage and continuous regens.
What can be accomplished to extend DPF life and limit regens?:
Given that we are not permitted by law to take away the DPF method, we are stuck with it if you want to comply with Federal emissions and hold your truck legal. Right here are a couple of ideas to assistance mileage and DPF life:
1. Use the suitable fuel – It is definitely important and important to use ultra low sulphur fuel in any car equipped with a particulate filter. Higher amounts of sulfur in the fuel will plug the DPF instantly. We get lots of inquiries from farmers about the red fuel. As far as we know you can not acquire higher sulfur fuel commercially any longer. We have a refinery roughly ten minutes from the shop that refines diesel. Each fuels are precisely the identical, their is just red dye added to the offroad fuel. It will not hurt something to run the low sulphur red fuel. The other query we get asked is about additives. Our suggestions is to only run merchandise that have been produced for diesel fuel. Energy Service, K100, Standyne, and Flash Lube for instance are brands that we see no troubles operating. DO NOT add any sort of homemade fixes. Adding a quart of saw oil, atf, or something else likely is not a very good notion. It will burn dirty and may well clog the dpf.
2. Use the right engine oil – Make positive you are utilizing an engine oil that is rated correctly for your truck. Some engine oil gets burnt up in combustion no matter what. If you are operating oil that is not formulated for a DPF equipped car, it will soot up the filter sooner.
3. Retain idling to a minimum – Merely place, idling contributes to dpf troubles. Period. Maintaining the rpm's elevated through will assistance. Maintaining idling to a minimum is finest for these trucks.
4. Run it really hard after in a when – Do not be afraid after in a when when going up a hill to matt the throttle for a couple of seconds. Operating the truck really hard and finding points good and warm will assistance clear out soot deposits.
I want to take away the DPF. What can I do and what will be the rewards?
Initial factor, it is definitely against the law to take away or disable any emissions device for any car that is going to be operated on the public highways. If you make a decision you want to take away emissions gear for any cause, it is solely up to you and your mechanic to make a decision what is secure and legal for your application. I do not condone nor advise removing the dpf or any other emissions device. All the examples I speak about beneath have been tested off-road and the mileage tests have been performed on our Superflow chassis dyno that simulate the load the truck has alone and when towing.
We have accomplished some testing on all 3 brands of trucks to see what outcomes could be accomplished by removing the dpf filter method. There are numerous merchandise accessible for off-road and competitors use that will disable the dpf method. You have to run some sort of aftermarket device to disable the method or there will be troubles when you take away the DPF. There are quite a few choices that will permit the removal of the DPF without having any horsepower improve and also quite a few choices that will add up to 250 horsepower along with removing the DPF.
Right here are the test trucks we have accomplished controlled tests on our chassis dyno with:
Truck #1: 2007.five Ford F-350 six.four Powerstroke Mods: S&B Cold Air Intake, Edge Race Evolution, DPF Delete pipe (rest factory exhaust) Stock RWHP: 285 Right after Mods RWHP: 471 Typical Mileage stock: 11.eight mpg Typical Mileage mods: 17.four mpg
Notes: Really simple delete package. All round mileage jumped five.six mpg on simulated highway driving. Horsepower levels variety from 40HP improve to 185 hp improve on the EDGE Race Evolution. Stock air box would pull filter restriction gauge with clean factory filter on even decrease levels. Air box upgrade a ought to for this package.
Truck #two: 2008 Dodge 3500 six.7 Cummins Mods: Complete four” DPF and Cat delete exhaust, Flo-Pro DPF electronics package Stock RWHP: 294 Mod RWHP: 311 Typical Mileage Stock: 12.1 mpg Typical Mileage Mods: 18.9 mpg
Notes: We have been actually impressed with this package. The Flo-Pro electronics only disable the DPF method and add definitely no horsepower. The cost-free flowing exhaust showed some horsepower gains. Mileage test was simulated highway driving with a truck weight of 8700lbs. Terrific mileage achieve of six.eight more than stock. Cheap delete package for off-road operate trucks.
Truck #three: 2008 F-550 six.four Powerstroke
Mods: DPF delete into dual five” exhaust, S&B Cold Air Intake, Energy Hungry Functionality Gryphon programmer Stock RWHP: 268 Mod RWHP: 447 Avg HWY Mileage Stock: 9.two mpg Avg HWY Mileage Mods: 17.three mpg Avg TOW mileage Stock: six.four mpg Avg TOW mileage Mods: 14.two mpg
Notes: This is a package that we place with each other to simulate the gains feasible on one particular of the really hard operating trucks that tows alot. The horsepower improve was dramatic, but the mileage gains have been tremendous. We simulated a truck weight of 11,500 lbs for the highway tests and a trailer weight of 12,000 lbs for the tow test. The highway mileage tests of the mods showed a eight.1 mpg achieve when the towing test also showed an astounding eight mpg achieve.
Truck #four: 2009 Dodge 2500 Cummins six.7 Mods: five” straight DPF/Cat delete exhaust, S&B Cold Air Intake, H&S XRT programmer Avg HWY mileage stock:14.six mpg Avg HWY mileage mods:21.two mpg
Notes: We only did simulated hwy mileage tests on this truck. We just applied the XRT programmer to take away the DPF functions from the personal computer and left the horsepower stock. The XRT has horsepower improve levels of 60, 120, 175 horsepower. It will also shut the egr method off as effectively.
Truck #five: 2008 Ford F-350 six.four Powerstroke Mods: four” DPF delete pipe, five” MBRP dpf back exhaust, S&B cold air intake, Revolutionary Diesel custom tuned SCT Livewire Stock RWHP:289 Mod RWHP: 536 Stock MPG: 11.six mpg Mod MPG: 17.four mpg
Notes: This truck was an animal! The custom tunes have been some of the smoothest shifting of any of the choices we have attempted and the energy was crazy. There was a 247 rear wheel horsepower improve more than stock on the highest level and the rear wheel torque was more than 1000 ft/lbs! You would assume there would be a severe drop in the mileage division, but we have been shocked to see the truck achieve practically six mpg at even this horsepower level.
In conclusion, if you are searching for some severe horsepower for the drag strip or the pulling track, these new widespread rail diesels make severe horsepower with pretty small modification after the dpf is out of the way. Also, if you only operated your truck off-road there are some very impressive fuel economy gains to be had by removing the dpf filter. It is actually also poor that we could not run the trucks on public roads with the dpf removed. We definitely would have extremely effective trucks that get wonderful mileage and have fantastic street manners.
Thanks for reading, John Anderson